The International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) is an intergovernmental organization whose mandate is to provide the basis for a coherent system of measurements throughout the world, traceable to the International System of Units (SI). The BIPM Headquarters is based in Sèvres, in the outskirts of Paris(France), and has an international staff of about 70.
Further information can be found on https://www.bipm.org.
The BIPM has undertaken a collaboration with the Ultrasonic, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control (UFFC) Society of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) (https://ieee-uffc.org/) for the development of capacity building material in time and frequency (TF) metrology.
To this aim, the BIPM seeks a Secondee to act as the Time and Frequency Capacity Building Coordinator for the BIPM Time Department:
- Deadline for applications: 31st May 2023 (23:59 Paris time) to (Click to show email)
- Starting date: Beginning September 2023
- Contract: Secondment, one year – Full-time basis
Following the Consultative Committee for Time and Frequency (CCTF) project to enhance the capacity of the Universal Time Coordinated (UTC) laboratories by sharing resources and the aim of the UFFC society to increase the competencies in time and frequency metrology, the role of the Secondee isto coordinate, promote, and to some extent develop a capacity building course on TF metrology.
Under the coordination of the BIPM Time Department, the Secondee should have capacity to establish collaborations with UTC labs and the experts, coordinate and contribute to the production of the material, and promote its use. Technical expertise to develop, implement, and guide the development of the technical material and tools is also an important asset. The work will be accomplished in collaboration with the CCTF WGs TAI and ALGORITHM.
Main duties and responsibilities:
1. Select the topics and organize the structure of the TF capacity building course. Identify the documents, guidelines, video presentations, slides and other material that is available or needs to be developed. Coordinate with UTC labs the access to their material for sharing it with the community.
2. Coordinate and contribute to the development of additional material, as slides, videos, guidelines, Software (SW) modules, exercise, test data set, together with the time Dept, CCTF WGs TAI and ALGORITHM.
3. Liaise with international organizations and funding agencies (as the IEEE UFFC society) to establish common schools and training initiatives.
4. Continue the work of a previous Secondee at the BIPM who has developed open-source SW modules to be shared with the labs, by writing the user manual, test cases, examples, and other SW routines.
5. Support the introduction of tutorial material in the BIPM e-learning platform https://e-learning.bipm.org/ and the publication of the SW routines and manuals on the BIPM GITHUB (under appropriate licence agreement).
6. Promote and accompany the use of these tools by advertising to the labs, answering questions, animate a web forum, providing organizational, content and technical support and motivation.
7. Organize training events at the BIPM and Regional Metrology Organizations (RMOs) virtually and, when possible, in presence. For in presence initiatives open to the UTC laboratories, young researchers from universities and research institutions, sponsorship is to be sought to cover the board and lodging expenses.
8. Coordinate and promote capacity building events at conferences and summer schools organized by other organizations, a particularly in collaboration with the UFFC Society.
Qualifications and experience
The secondment is open to a staff member of a National Metrology Institute (NMI), UTC institute or a similar institute or academic institution with the following qualifications and experience:
- advanced university degree in metrology, physics, or a related engineer field.
- a minimum of 5 years of experience in time and frequency metrology.
- proven experience in developing a course or didactic material.
- experience handling any of the above-mentioned tasks and activities, including direct involvement at some level in the UTC and related activity, is considered an asset.
- a high-level knowledge of written and spoken English is essential, working knowledge of French is desirable.
- willingness to share expertise and build capacity in other laboratories.
- a professional background in some area of physical science or engineering.
- self-motivation and a willingness to travel.
- ability to maintain good working relations inside and outside the organization.
Background and Employment Conditions
The BIPM has concluded a Grant Agreement with the IEEE for the purposes of offering a six (6) month secondment placement at the BIPM to an individual from a UTC laboratory or academic institution to perform specific tasks, and in particular, to coordinate and develop a course in the field of Time and Frequency Metrology. The BIPM will fund the additional six (6) month secondment placement.
The Secondee shall be seconded to the BIPM on a full-time basis in Sèvres in the context of a secondment contract for one (1) year. The Secondee will remain an employee of the Seconding Party or Releasing Organization (whether an UTC institute or academic institution). As a result, the Secondee shall continue to receive his/her salary and emoluments as well as respective insurances and allowances, where applicable, from the Seconding Party or Releasing Organization during the secondment period. The Secondee shall not at any time be considered as a staff member of the BIPM.
The BIPM shall pay a monthly subsistence allowance of an amount of EURO 3 000 (three thousand Euro) to the Secondee. No additional allowances, indemnities, insurance coverage or any sums of any kind and no social contributions and advantages shall be paid by the BIPM to the Secondee. If needed, the BIPM may provide support in facilitating the issuance of visa by the competent authorities and may assist the Secondee in finding local accommodation.
Applications should be sent to the BIPM Time Department Director, Dr Patrizia Tavella, (Click to show email), by 31st May 2023, 23:59 Paris time. Applications should include a CV with a cover letter and a letter of support from the Seconding Party or Releasing Organization (for example from the NMI/DI Director).
General inquiries about this work opportunity could be addressed to (Click to show email).